The core statement of our faith is outlined in the Nicene Creed.
We believe the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments contain all things necessary to salvation and are the rule and ultimate standard of faith. No one is required to accept as an article of faith anything that is not plainly taught in Holy Scripture.
We can have a right relationship with God only through the merit of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and not through our own works or merits.
Staement of Faith
- Advent’s Statement of Faith is from the Articles of Religion contained on pages 867 – 876 in the Book of Common Prayer, The Episcopal Church, certified in September 1979. Elaborations follow.
- We believe the Bible to be the only inspired, trustworthy and true, without error, authoritative Word of God. We believe Holy Scripture contains all things necessary to salvation: so that whatever is read therein and proved thereby is necessary to salvation. Consistent with these Articles, the sole authority for faith and practice at Advent is the Holy Scriptures of the 66 canonical books of the Old and New Testament of the Holy Bible, New International Version (NIV) copyright 1984.
- We believe there is but one living and true God, everlasting, without body, parts, or passions; of infinite power, wisdom, and goodness; the Maker of heaven and earth, and Preserver of all things both visible and invisible.
- We believe God eternally exists in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, who is the Son, the Word of the Father. God and man were joined together in one Person, never to be divided, very God and very Man. For our salvation he came down from heaven, became incarnate from the Virgin Mary and was made man, was sinless in flesh and spirit, suffered, was crucified, died, was buried, rose again, ascended to heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He reconciled his Father to us as a sacrifice for the sins of all mankind. Holy Scripture sets out that only through the Name of Jesus Christ must people be saved. He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
- We believe the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son; is one substance, majesty, and glory with the Father and the Son; is the giver of life; and indwells the Christian enabling a godly life.
- We believe in the Nicene Creed and the Apostle’s Creed.
- We believe we can have a right relationship with God only through the merit of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and not through our own works or merits.
- We believe that God created marriage to be the exclusive covenant union of one man and one woman as delineated in Holy Scripture and as stated in The Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage, pages 423 – 432, in the Book of Common Prayer 1979. This Celebration and references to marriage in the Holy Bible NIV collectively comprise Advent’s definition of marriage.
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female, and that these two distinct complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. This is Advent’s definition of gender identity.
- We believe that God intends intimate sexual activity to occur exclusively between a man and a woman who are married to each other.
- We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We believe all people of faith are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life.